In this podcast episode, I help you to look at your life in greater detail, determining what you should be focusing on as a parent, and why those areas matter in your life. You can choose to approach this episode like a short training class.
The objectives of the episode are for you to:
- Determine where you will focus your time and energy in life - your Life Focus Areas - informed in a way so that you are being true to what your faith and principles call you to focus on and to prioritize
- Explore at a deeper level why those areas of your life matter, to create a source of motivation and inspiration to be successful in that area of life
Key Takeaways in the Episode -
- I enjoy cutting grass, but what I love is an hour distraction free to catch up on new music or a new podcast....plus a good calorie burn is a bonus.
- I have a lot of gratitude for my Parish - St. Albert the Great. This has become a place that matters in our family's life because they have been our greatest source of providing friendships, rewarding service, and community to worship Jesus. I so appreciate all of my fellow parishioners in this audience for their support as well - thank you! (2:42)
- I introduce the concept of 'Life Focus Areas', which might include areas such as Faith, Family, or Health. What is important is for you to first determine the areas that are the most important in your life, and then give them a label and a meaning that resonates very well with you. (3:54)
- The first method to understand what your Life Focus Areas should be is to explore your Faith and Principles as sources of inspiration. When you do this, you inform your focus in life in a way that is true to what your faith and principles call you to focus on and to prioritize. (4:13)
- The second method to understand what your Life Focus Areas should be is to refer to off-the-shelf models for inspiration. I introduce one model, The Gallup Organization's 5 Pillars of Well-Being. A link to this model is below. (7:25)
- After you have determined your Life Focus areas, you need to define 'why' that area matters in your life. I explain why the high school and college years are the perfect time for someone to define the 'whys' in their life, as our children are maturing into the stage of the Independent Self. I also introduce Simon Sinek's model, that puts our 'why' in the context of our 'what' and 'how'. A link to his top TED Talk is below, which I strongly encourage you to watch. (9:00)
- As a summary, you need to first determine where you will focus your time and energy in life, informed in a way so that you are being true to what your faith and principles call you to focus on and to prioritize. Second, by exploring a deeper level of why those areas of your life matter, you can understand and create a source of motivation and inspiration to be successful in that area of life. Finally, your children in the high school and college stage of life can get the same benefits from having this clarity, focus, and meaning in their life, which will enable them to better prioritize their time and energy and be self motivated. (17:13)